Monday, August 24, 2009

Two Weeks in My Kitchen: August 12-24: Part 2

This week I scored over four pounds of cherry tomatoes from my sister and her husband. I thought I'd oven roast them for a sweet summer soup. Then I decided to try canning the soup, since I haven't tried that before. After searching many of my cookbooks and the wise old Internet, I gave it a shot.


I had a few more nectarines to use so I threw together a quick cobbler then peeled, sliced and froze the rest for the winter. I'm like a forward thinking bear...




Stesha's Quick Cobbler

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbsp for sprinkling
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 egg (this is easiest if you break an egg into a bowl, whisk it slightly with a fork, then use half)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

3 cups fresh or frozen fruit (nectarines, mixed berries, peaches)
2 Tbsp. flour
Pinch of salt
1/3-1/2 cup sugar (depending on the sweetness of your fruit. Taste it first!)
2 Tbsp. butter in small pieces, plus more for dish

Method:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a quart baking dish. Toss fruit with flour, salt and 1/4 cup of sugar. Once the fruit is coated, scatter pieces of butter throughout filled dish.
Once oven is to temperature, bake fruit mixture for 15 minutes or so, until it begins to bubble.
Meanwhile whisk flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together cream, egg and vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add cream mixture. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they come together. Dough will be sticky. Remove the bubbling fruit mixture from the oven. Raise the temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While oven is adjusting, top the fruit mixture with the cobbler dough by breaking off pieces and gently pressing them onto the fruit mixture. I like to leave some gaps between the pieces so that the fruit shows underneath. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. of sugar.
Return the cobbler to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden brown, and the juices thicken and bubble up through the "cobbles."
It's generally best (for the roof of your mouth) to let the cobbler cool for about 10 minutes before you pour cream on it and enjoy, but I like to live dangerously.

No comments:

the perfect balance