Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Two Weeks in My Kitchen: August 12-24: Part 3

Some close friends asked me to make a cake for their pre-wedding party. They're from the East Coast and are getting married there in September, but wanted to have a party for their Seattle friends too. After an initial consultation, we decided to make the cake look like a wedding cake, since their actual wedding is going to be fairly casual. We also decided that it would be lemon lavender, paying homage to the fact that their engagement took place after visiting a lavender farm on Vashon Island.




I zested about 20 lemons for the cake and lemon curd filling (seen simmering here over a double boiler). Then I juiced those lemons for the cake and the filling. I love my old school glass reamer! Lavender infused simple syrup was brushed on the cake to help bolster the lavender flavor.




I blended the dry ingredients with lemon zest and lavender flowers that I ground in a repurposed electric grinder. I love that moment in baking when every one of my counters is covered in pans.




I frosted the cake with a wonderful French buttercream, that is stabilized by a "custard" of thickened milk. Each tier was filled with the lemon curd filling before being smoothed and finished.




The finished cake, embellished with yellow roses, dried lavender and buttercream pearls, was served with champagne before the couple celebrated with a dance. (Thanks to Matthew and Dave for these pictures.)
It was a great party!

1 comment:

Rebekah Denn said...

That is amazingly beautiful!

the perfect balance