Monday, March 9, 2009

Operating without a net

When I was a kid I spent hours combining ingredients from my mother's pantry. I wondered what would happen when you blended chocolate into tomato sauce, or roasted garlic and apples and potatoes together. In most cases my "experiments" were just that--way of testing flavors and textures-- but completely theoretical and highly disgusting (although my dad still claims to have liked the garlic apple soup I concocted). I learned a lot about flavors and I think I began to develop my palate at that point.
Once I began cooking for a living I still experimented with flavors but generally within the confines of a recipe. But a little part of me has always been interested in getting back to the most basic part of cooking: what happens when you mix this with that?
This weekend I decided to make a cake without a recipe. Now those of you who aren't bakers might not realize how dangerous this can be. And I mean dangerous in the horrible-heavy-brick-like-baked goods sort of way. Baking is all about chemistry and proportions and even the smallest deviation from the recipe can cause inedible results. I was actually a little nervous--what
would happen when I mixed this with that?
Cranberries in the freezer (leftover from the holidays) called out to be used and I mapped out the first round of the rest of the ingredients. I decided a simple cranberry tea cake would be my test subject. After mixing oil and eggs, adding sugar then flour with leavening and finally the cranberries, I spread the mixture in a loaf pan, popped it in a pre-heated oven, and waited with baited breath for the results.
Well, it wasn't quite brick-like. In fact, the crumb was lovely and dense. Perhaps a little
too dense, but the cake was still quite tender. I was a little disappointed with the results. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and this cake wasn't perfect.
But as I munched on a slice with some tea yesterday I realized that it represented something important. I was back where I began--exploring the basic building blocks of one of the things I love most in the world, food. Even after cooking professionally for six years, and as an amateur for many more, I still had that lovely, fluttery feeling in my stomach as I wondered what would happen when I mixed this with that. I was operating without a net but flying high.

2 comments:

Paula Anderton said...

You are so brave! I fear making cakes without a recipe. I am loving your blog and taking hints and tips all the time. However, your experience far exceeds mine and with the boys being as young as they are I don't get much time to cook 'alone'. They tend to stir things madly and don't at all grasp the art of folding as yet!

Thank you so much for taking the time to teach us new things!

Lots of love
Your biggest fan


xxx

Stesha said...

Paula--I love that the boys want to help! That's the best! Then they'll eventually love to cook too :)
Let me know if you need any kid-friendly recipes. It might be a bit early to teach them to fold, but I bet they're excellent stirrers :)

the perfect balance