Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Oxbow's Newest Farmer

On Sunday, the boyfriend and I met our friend Julia (and her dog Calvin) at the Ballard Farmers' Market. We were running late, and I was feeling a tad bit on the wrong side of cranky.
As we wound our way through the crowded street, I was looking for my favorite berry stall. But sadly, Jessie was no where to be found. The farmers had begun to pack up, in anticipation of their 3pm close, and I was starting to worry that I wouldn't have time to get my weekly market fix. After a quick, but medicinal cup of coffee from Cugini, and one of those delicious rolls from Tall Grass (you know, the ones with the raisins) I was on my way to see my very favorite farmers (in fact, I often take ownership and call them "my farmers"): Luke and Sarah from Oxbow Farms.
I've been buying their gorgeous veggies and fruit for the last four years or so. And one Sunday, last summer, I even stood in as a cashier, when Luke ran to grab a bite to eat. This last Sunday their tables were almost empty (they're not just my favorites, clearly!) but I was delighted to see that Sarah had brought Oxbow's newest farmer, their 7 month old daughter Pearl! I hadn't had a chance to meet Pearl, and it had been almost a year since I had seen Sarah; she doesn't always make it to the Sunday market. This beautiful little girl was just the pick-me-up that I needed! After grabbing some beefy red beets, my mood was restored and I set about gleaning what I could from the remaining farm stands.
Speaking of gleaning, another of my favorite stands is Jeremy Faber's Foraged and Found Edibles. Jeremy provides wild and foraged produce for area restaurants (Sitka & Spruce notably) and for several Seattle farmers' markets. I picked up a quarter of a pound of beautiful morels that I plan on sauteing with a little sweet onion for individual pizzas later this week. And just wait until he brings in his next haul of wild huckleberries. oh, the pies I'll make!
I can't tell you how much I enjoy this weekly opportunity to connect with the people who nourish me. The trip to the market provides almost as much fuel as the stuff I bring home!









No comments:

the perfect balance