Monday, May 28, 2007

I Couldn't Decide


what to do with the gorgeous ruby red rhubarb that I bought at the farmer's market, so I had my cake and ate it too. So to speak. First, I made the rhubarb sorbet that I had been planning on. I found the recipe on www.epicurious.com a couple of days ago, and it sounded so yummy and refreshing. But thinking back to the morning a few weeks ago, that I dolloped rhubarb compote into my morning oatmeal, I couldn't resist making a little bit more compote too. Call it instant gratification. So I chopped the rest of the rhubarb and macerated it with some sugar and a little Tuhuya River honey. Crazy good! So good in fact, that the boyfriend and I started dreaming up cocktails to use it in. We had a contest ( a very subjective contest, where we were the competitors and the judges) to make the best rhubarb drink. First we mixed the compote with vodka and Dry lemongrass soda , then we tried the lavender soda. I think the lavender won that contest. But it was the ginger rhubarb cocktail that was my favorite:


1 oz vodka

2 scant Tbsp rhubarb compote

8 oz spicy ginger beer/ale

ice

float of peach schnapps, chambord, etc.


Fill a 12 oz. glass with ice. Mix the vodka with the compote until smooth. Pour this mixture over ice. Top with ginger beer. Stir gently. Float a liqueur of your choice on top. Yum!

No comments:

the perfect balance